Blog

I’m Ready For My Closeup…

We received our first molded parts back from our manufacturer.  These parts are the real thing – shot on the actual mold through the full production process.  What you see here is what you’ll get in the mail soon.

Here are the glamour shots:

Fit Check

One of the areas of concern was how well the terminals would keep their tolerances through the molding process.  This area has deep draws, small draft angles, AND over-molded inserts.

Side View for Fit Check

Each of the terminals on each of the samples work beautifully.  Tight enough to be secure, but without undue pressure.

Silk and Ejector Pins

Here is an un-enhanced close-up of the silkscreen near the terminals.  Silkscreen contrast and registration look good!

You may also notice several round marks on the underside of the housing plastic.  These are from the ejector pins, which free the part from the mold after the plastic has set.

Ejector Pins and Silkscreen

Slot Closure

As discussed previously, the SD card slot was closed due to the housing dielectric withstand requirements of the 61010 safety spec.  Here it is, closed:

4719_Closed_Slot_60

A few more for good measure:

Thanks to Jeremy for the photo-booth!  Ask him for polycarbonate wedding rings to match your Mooshimeter – https://www.etsy.com/shop/Triggeron

14 Responses to “I’m Ready For My Closeup…”

1. vince August 16, 2014 at 5:38 pm #

Wow! Gorgeous!

I’m so excited!

2. Philip August 16, 2014 at 5:47 pm #

Looks awsome!!! Do we get an option of color? Looking at it now I would love a clear one!

• Eric VanWyk August 16, 2014 at 5:55 pm #

You are in luck! They will all be clear

3. Beat August 17, 2014 at 1:37 pm #

That looks goergeous! I love that transparency, it truly shows off the transparency of your project and of your product !

My guess is that for your campaign and DIY markets transparent is perfect. But most probably for some professional markets a white, beige, grey, all-yellow, or red non-transparent color will lead to better sales. Don’t try to use grey+yellow. Sparkfun had to destroy thousands of multimeters at customs because of customs stopping them from importing them due to a proprietary “leading” brand model: https://www.sparkfun.com/news/1428 (follow-up story: http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2014/03/trademark-issue-will-cause-30000-worth-of-multimeters-to-be-destroyed/ ).

• Eric VanWyk August 17, 2014 at 5:19 pm #

Thanks!

We’re always open to feedback, so we’ll see what the future holds for coloration. That said, the initial run is clear.

4. Luis August 27, 2014 at 11:04 am #

So quite here ….. I am here … and waiting ….☺☺

5. smanders August 28, 2014 at 1:49 pm #

Beautiful…so excited! Its been a lot of fun see all the steps involved with the process. Couple of questions.

1) With BLE, does this device have a power switch?
    2) If not, what’s the battery life in standby?
    3) What’s the battery life while operational and sampling?
    4) Since the uSD card is covered now, can it still be accessed by removing the case, putting in the uSD card, and then putting it all back into the case for use?
    5) Any adjustments to the case to accommodate the test leads?

Thanks so much!

• Eric VanWyk August 28, 2014 at 5:25 pm #

Thanks!

1) Nope. The BLE standby draw is low enough to support an always on standby as its primary power mode.
      2) We haven’t released final numbers yet, but conservatively standby is many many months. Possibly year(s) in perfectly optimal conditions.
      3) Completely depends on the frequency of use, but at full bore it is about 2 weeks continuous use.
      4) Yes. You can access the SD card by unscrewing the case.
      5) I’m not 100% certain I understand your question. The test leads use the standard 4mm safety jack / banana plug interface.

• Chris F August 28, 2014 at 9:17 pm #

I think smanders was referring to the issue you had with storage case prototype, which James then later said was resolved.

• smanders August 29, 2014 at 9:08 am #

Yep ChrisF, that was what I was referring to. I missed the update. Thanks!

And thanks for answering my questions Eric. Such a great, well thought-out product on the first generation. Impressive. I am counting the days until my two units arrive!

My old standby Fluke 76 has had a great run and continues to run great today, but there have been at least a half a dozen or more instances over the last few months where having a wireless connection would have been such a time saver!

• Eric VanWyk August 29, 2014 at 9:41 am #

I’m glad Chris is more on the ball than I am :-)

I’d love to hear more about the use cases you are experiencing

• Eric VanWyk August 29, 2014 at 9:41 am #

Thanks Chris!

6. Peter August 29, 2014 at 7:40 pm #

I guess if people don’t like transparent cases they can simply disassemble them and paint the inside the color of their choice (with dielectric paint of course).

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. Subtleties of Injection Molding | Mooshim Engineering - September 17, 2014

[…] after our last update I noticed an issue with the enclosures I had received.  These were the first enclosures to come […]